- Some of the Holiday Angels from NYSD.
12.30.03 - The sun shines, New Yorker profiles, and dinner at Donohue's
12.29.03 - The life and times of one of the last of the breed, the late
Prince Alfonso Hohenlohe.
- Winter Solstice. It was a cold, crisp weekend in New York.
- It was cold in New York yesterday. And it rained cats and dogs.
- Bill Reilly held his annual holiday cocktail party last night; Another
snowstorm comes and goes.
- Something for everyone in today's Social Diary.
- There was a most unusual book signing last night at Robert Rauschenberg's
down on Lafayette for Sidney Felsen.
- Paris sizzles. The sun came out on Monday in New York and melted away.
- New York had its first snowstorm of the season.
- Last night was a busy one, whew!
- Palm Beach was filled to capacity with New Yorkers over the long Thanksgiving
- The Week Just Past: Beginning of the holiday season.
- It was time-for-the-overcoat cold last night in New York as the NYC Ballet
held its opening night in honor of the 100th anniversary of George Balanchine's
11.25.03 - Reflections
on the end of an era.
week, the the social calendar was
running on overload.
cocktail preview celebrating the
opening of Alberto and Stefania Sabbadini's
jewelry exhibition; Dinner at Ann
Jones' including an encounter with Stanford
White and Evelyn Nesbit.
11.20.03 - Katharine
Hepburn's old stomping ground is for sale.
- New York Days; New York Nights.
a Friend of Many.
Yorkers got one of their first looks at the towers of
AOL/TimeWarner for an evening to benefit Americans For the Arts.
night was Retrospective night in New York: Down at the
National Arts Club they honored Francesco Scavullo, and
up at The Guggenheim Museum they honored James Rosenquist.
in Central Park; The current chapter of the Saga of the British
Royal Family; The passing of a New York Grande Dame.
night the New York Landmarks Conservancy held its 10th annual Living
Landmarks Celebration; A luncheon at The Pierre for the World Monuments
11.5.03 - A
busy Tuesday night in Manhattan.
we had record high temperatures for November in New York.
11.3.03 - A
warm-as-early-September early November autumn weekend in New York;
bright and sunny and dry. And Halloween.
- The Angel Ball to benefit The G & P Foundation for Cancer Research;
The Central Park Conservancy's Halloween Ball, "Mystery & Masquerade."
Royals and the Royal Pains; Liz Smith hosted a screening of "The
10.28.03 - NYSD
takes a trip to London for Liz Ward's birthday party.
- Remembering the most famous woman in the world; Rooms With A View
Of Central Park at
One Central Park Condominiums at Time Warner Center.
10.23.03 - Coast-to-Coast:
Sand in their shoes.
- Balmy breezy autumn nights in Manhattan. All kinds of stuff going
10.20.03 - An
overcast autumn weekend in the City.
10.17.03 - Somers
Farkas and Jessie Araskog's Dejeuner de l'Automne at Restaurant
10.14.03 - New
York, New York; Bringing ideas to life.
- Went with Peter Rogers, Liz Smith and Ann Richards to see Bill
in "The Harlequin Studies."
10.9.03 - The
French-American Foundation held its annual gala dinner last night in
the pool room at the Four Seasons Restaurant.
10.8.03 - A
busy one in New York; A loss of a great lady; and a musical celebration
of an amazing life.
10.6.03 - A
weekend drive to Litchfield County for the 17th annual Washington (Connecticut)
10.3.03 - On
Tuesday night, a hundred New Yorkers celebrated the 20th wedding anniversary
of Arlene Dahl and Marc Rosen.
about France and U.S. and some things being French.
10.1.03 - Last
night at Capitale for the Municipal Art Society's annual gala.
9.30.03 - Monday
night was museum night in Manhattan.
- Remembering George Plimpton; Thursday night past at The Frick and
Tiffany & Co.
- A wrapup of Monday night at Doubles to honor seven "New Yorkers
Who Make A Difference" and Tuesday night at The Waldorf for the
Animal Medical Center Top Dog Gala.
9.24.03 - Last
night in New York they held the Animal Medical Center Top Dog Gala;
We also paid a visit to Bill Dugan and Nancy North at his Studio.
- Last night at Doubles to honor seven "New Yorkers Who Make
9.22.03 - Window
Shopping along Fifth Avenue and the opening of The New York Philharmonic's
9.19.03 - End
of Fashion Week: The Wuddoo I Know? Dept.
- Yesterday's debut of the "new" Bill Blass collection
by Michael Vollbracht.
- Yesterday at Bryant Park for the Oscar de la Renta show; The big
event in New
York last night was the "150 Dinners on the Park" (we hit
9.15.03 - Fair
weather, warm late summer days, cool nights.
9.12.03 - More
from the reception for Alzheimer's Association's Rita Hayworth Gala;
Audubon celebrated the opening of the Kimberlin Nature Education Center.
9.11.03 - Life
goes on in New York City.
9.10.03 - Burberry's
and Safe Horizon at Bloomies.
It was a beautiful late summer day.
9.8.03 - A
quiet September weekend; A busy September week.
9.5.03 - Friday
morning Guessing Game. Marriage-type Love.
9.3.03 - L.A.
Social Diary, cont'd. Last day in L.A.
9.2.03 - L.A.
Social Diary, cont'd. Sudden Death; the Sequel.
- A late morning visit to the Hollywood Hills with Wagner & Ko;
Sights in the course of a day's drive.
sixth day; L.A. plays itself.
rundown of our fifth day in Los Angeles.
8.25.03 - Hollywood
Ghost stories and a trip to the beach.
8.22.03 - Our
first day in Los Angeles.
were a thousand guests at the annual Red Cross Ball in Monte
- Christian Dior sponsors Dior Dance for Life in honor of Aaliyah
great blackout of 2003.
- There was a book party for Gov. Ann Richards last night at Jean-Luc
- A hot summer day in the city; Eleanor Lambert becomes a centenarian.
- A summer weekend in the City, mostly overcast; The 100th birthday
Eleanor Lambert; Our downtown correspondent checks
Yesterday we went up to Bedford/Katonah, NY to visit with the legendary
Last night at Cartier; Out in the Hamptons, the natives are restless
- Last Saturday night's party at the Watermill Center and The Southampton
annual summer gala.
Friday, Saturday in the Hamptons; Sunday in Manhattan along the Hudson.
- Jacqueline Goddard, who has died aged 91, was a favorite model of
Man Ray in
- Last night's book party for The New
Anti-Semitism; the Current Crisis and
What We Must Do About It; A screening of Seabiscuit at Lighthouse International.
- A look downriver; The Bone Marrow Foundation dinner at The Plaza;
grand opening of the new Audemars Piaget flagship
- DPC reviews Scott
Berg's Kate Remembered.
- News from our man who was at the scene(s) in Monte Carlo ...
- Down to the Tribeca Grand to participate in a forum on the subject
- In response to Page Six — THE
Hamptons have gone gay.
Park celebrates its 150th anniversary.
- More than two hundred turned out the other night for one of the first,
if not the first screening of the movie
version of the best-selling book Seabiscuit.
- Yesterday at the Michael Jordan Steakhouse, THE WEEK magazine held
- A rundown
of this past weekend in the Hamptons.
- Last night's screening of of "Seabiscuit" at
the Walter Reade Theatre
at Lincoln Center.
- Recollections of Franco Zeffirelli; The launch of Tiffany's "Singular
Dance at Sunset Beach on Shelter Island.
Another hot summer day in Manhattan; A visit to Dr. Gerald Imber's
Venetian Heritage held their annual benefit gala, a Biennale Weekend
Nice long hot holiday weekend in Manhattan; Brouhaha in the Hamptons
Marital fireworks among the rich and famous on this famous holiday.
Saturday night at the House & Garden dinner
hosted by John Barman and
- In Palermo for the Grand Galà at
Teatro Massimo and the Saharan Party
at Torre Ciachea.
- We went to two book parties last night: One for Anne Ford, the other
- Rainy Sunday summer afternoon; the end of the King's Mistress.
- The obituary of The 14th Duke of Bedford, from the London Daily
- Last night The Society for Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center
cocktail party at Graff, and Geoffrey
Thomas celebrated his 60th birthday.
- I love New York in June; How about you?
- A week of rainy days just passed; Leila Luce and Amy Fine Collins
gave a dinner for Larry Ashmead.
- Last night over at Petrossian we were treated to Goodie Bags galore.
new Quest is out.
Last week there was a stellar black tie evening at the Rainbow Room
Institute held its annual fundraising gala.
Trescher died yesterday noon here in New York.
The United States District Court, Southern District of New York handed
down an indictment yesterday against Martha Stewart and her former
stockbroker Peter Bacanovic ...
Another rainy weekend in New York; A look at Robert Dallek's new biography
of John F. Kennedy.
- Last night in the Central Park Zoo for the Wildlife Conservation
Society's Tiger Time Gala.
- Last night at Cipriani 42nd Street for Dennis Basso's annual Fur
A birthday gift from the cosmos.
- At Gracie Mansion for the marriage of Mayor Giuliani and Judi Nathan.
- A benefit luncheon and a dance performance at the new Martha Graham
- At the top of Rockefeller Center where the Alliance for the Arts
was hosting its
third annual benefit.
- Over to Sotheby's where the MacDowell Colony was having a dinner
for their patrons
and interested guests.
- The scandal du jour; Last week in the Duchin residence, out lunching
with Ann Nitze, and at a reception for the Little Baby Face
- Some serious bird watching with birding experts from the Audubon
Society; Larry Ashmead
says goodbye to HarperCollins.
- A rundown of last week: Safe Horizon's luncheon; Central Park Conservancy's
luncheon; The publication of Anne Ford's Laughing Allegra;
The Third annual
Henry Grunwald luncheon for the Lighthouse.
Yesterday, The Women's Committee of the Central Park Conservancy presented
21st annual Frederick Law Olmsted Awards; On to The Four
Seaons for a book reception
for Anne Ford's Laughing Allegra.
It was a busy night in New York last night and three of the biggest
events took place at Lincoln Center. We could only make it the
- Last Thursday night the Associates Committee of the Society of
Cancer Center held their gala, called "Indecent Proposal."
Yesterday was another beautiful spring day in New York. Uptown, downtown.
- Lunch at The New York Public Library and dinner at The Pierre for
City Harvest's annual
- Last night's American Cancer Society annual gala at the Pierre; Last
Opera Guild luncheon.
- Last night at The Four Seasons restaurant for the Irvington Institute's
the Kitchen Dinner."
- Today is Barbra Streisand's 61st birthday; Last night Randy and Connie
Jones' held a reception for Simon de Pury; And
Settlement held its annual
- Last night was the annual PEN Literary Gala, held this year at The
Pierre; Also the Horticultural Society of New Yorks held its annual
- The promise of warmer spring days returned over the weekend; Tonight's
benefit preview for The Frick's new exhibition, Whistler, Women
- Evelyn Lauder and the Breast Cancer Research Foundation held this
year's black tie "Soiree Bouquet."
- It turned into Spring Saturday morning in New York; Last week was
Prince Edward/Earl of Wessex on the NYSD.com.
- Last night Chris Meigher and DPC hosted a cocktail party at Doubles
to celebrate the Quest
400; then onto the Carlyle Hotel.
A wet, chilly, almost-wintry day in New York with the snow, albeit
busy one. DPC
takes in a preview of "Nine."
Dominick Dunne, Truman Capote and the Black and White Ball.
Last night, yesterday, and the night before last.
A Trip Downtown to a Past Unknown.
Recollections of Past Present Future: Debbie Reynolds celebrates her
3.31.03 - Fair
weather on Saturday, rain and cold on Sunday. Off to the theater.
3.27.03 - It
was a warm day in New York; on to Le Cirque on Madison between 50th
and 51st for a kick-off cocktail party for Literacy Partners.
3.25.03 - A
Monday night email from a friend burning the midnight oil.
night Entertainment Weekly held its 9th annual Academy Awards
Viewing party at Elaine's; A look around Manhattan on a beautiful
3.20.03 - Elizabeth
Fondaras celebrated her birthday on Tuesday night.
3.19.03 - Pam
Lazor took Cynthia Lufkin, Grace Hightower, and Karen LeFrak (accompanied
by JH) to the closest thing we could find to Italy — downtown
New York City.
3.18.03 - St.
Patrick's Day in New York. Another warm spring-like day with temperatures
in the upper 60s.
3.17.03 - Spring
made its bow yesterday morning in Manhattan, four days ahead of schedule.
night over at Lincoln Center the New York City Opera honored Stephen Sondheim.
3.12.03 - On
Monday night, there were 16 dinners around town for the Women's Campaign
3.10.03 - A
brief promise of spring in the air yesterday morning.
3.5.03 - Last
night at The
Plaza for the 3rd Annual Global Leadership Awards dinner.
3.3.03 - On
Friday night at The Waldorf, they celebrated the 50th anniversary of
the discovery of the Double Helix.
2.27.03 - The
introduction of a new occasional column "Night Flight" to
the New York Social Diary — musings on the club scene.
2.26.03 - Yesterday
at the St. Regis for Mother of the Year luncheon.
Drama League presented its annual Musical Celebration of Broadway
last night in the Grand Ballroom of the Pierre where they honored
Jerry Orbach. With lots of pics.
2.24.03 - It
rained and poured in New York and most of the northeast over the weekend,
beginning on Friday.
2.19.03 - Nancy
Holmes, Editor-at-Large of Worth Magazine, has written a very thorough
article on the wills of Randolph Apperson Hearst and of Russell Barnett
2.18.03 - The
fourth biggest snow storm in New York History and we got it all right
here for you.
2.17.03 - Art
Basel Miami Beach was a huge success, putting Miami (and South Beach)
solidly on the map as a global center for International Art. Photographer
Jill Lynne was there and tells us all about it.
2.12.03 - Two
tales to tell: in Palm Beach and New York.
2.11.03 - Fashion
week in New York kicks off with loads of pictures from yesterday's
Oscar de la Renta show.
2.10.03 - A
quiet weekend in New York. Last Thursday night was a different story
as The Young Fellows of The Frick held their annual evening, this year
called "Nouveau Glamour."
2.6.03 - Last
night at The Waldorf-Astoria, the Museum of TV and Radio honored Julie
Andrews and Carol Burnett.
2.5.03 - A
dinner party in a big triplex apartment on Park Avenue; and a birthday celebration
in Palm Beach.
2.4.03 - A
foggy day in New York; A
look at the history of a great contemporary art collection.
2.3.03 - Last
night's surprise birthday dinner at Le Cirque for the real Mary Elizabeth
1.29.03 - Nancy
Davis was in town to promote her new line of "Peace and Love" jewelry.
1.28.03 - Very
cold in New York in January, 2003. Not so, last year at the same
1.27.03 - From
across the Atlantic come reports that several weeks ago Queen Elizabeth
II ordered an in-house inquiry into the household of her heir, Prince
1.24.03 - The
last will and testament of John Galliher: reflection of the man.
1.23.03 - Lunch
with Harry Benson and a look at his Fifty Years in Pictures.
-A quiet Martin
Luther King Day in New York; Some fine examples from the 49th
annual Winter Antiques Show.
1.16.03 - Liz
Smith's birthday wish for the benefit of the New York City; along
with the Jewelry Information Center's Inaugural Gem Awards Gala.
York cityscapes; The new Quest is out.
1.8.03 - John
Galliher: A rarefied life.
1.7.03 - John
Galliher: A Remarkable Life.
1.6.03 - It's
been a very quiet past two weeks in New York.