- This event has passed.
From Screen to Seen: Lessons on Cultivating Defiant Joy and Supporting Young People in a Post-Pandemic World
May 5, 2021 @ 12:00 PM - 1:30 PM
A community conversation reflecting on what we’ve learned from a year of dancing online and where we go from here to support young people post-pandemic.
Moderated by four-time Emmy® Award-winning Host and Executive Producer of Bare Feet, Mickela Mallozzi.
- Psychologist Dr. Jephtha Tausig
- Cultural anthropologist specialized in dance & UN Senior/Regional Human Rights Fellow at UN Headquarters Dr. Derrick Leon Washington
- WolfBrown Principal Researcher Dr. Dennie Palmer Wolf
- PS 130M Principal Renny Fong
- Casita Maria Center for Arts and Education Program Coordinator Yaicana Peña
- Dancing Classrooms Senior Teaching Artist Felix Pitre
- Dancing Classrooms Deputy Director Eve Wolff
A follow up to our May 2020 “Social Dance While Social Distancing” Roundtable event, this interactive discussion will center on the ways in which the “defiant joy” found through dance and arts education has helped young people persevere through this remarkable year. Panelists will share their experiences supporting young people and integrating the arts into their online lives. To get attendees to embody the topic, Dancing Classrooms Senior Teaching Artist Felix Pitre will lead short “defiant joy” dance break exploring Lindy Hop.
We look forward to coming together as a community to reflect and create next steps for supporting students’ social, emotional and physical wellbeing.
All proceeds from the event will benefit Dancing Classrooms’ spring semester programs for NYC youth.
Recognizing the extraordinary challenges they have faced this year, teaching artists are welcome to pay what they are able.